Archive for April, 2009
I’ve loaded my second firing and it is approaching completion as I write this. The other picture is of the completed pots from my first firing. I’ll post some detailed pictures soon. Click on the pictures for a larger view. The bright blue matte glaze is a new one for me.
I loaded the kiln yesterday and actually started my firing yesterday as well. This is what a full kiln of freshly glazed pots looks like before they are fired to 2250 degress F. The firing took about 15 hours and needs to cool for the next couple days before I can unload the work to look at the results. In the next week I will glaze my next batch of about 100 porcelain pieces. This next firing will be different from the last in that I will introduce more oxygen to the kiln during the firing and then slowly cool the kiln in hopes of producing crystal formation in my glazes – I’ll keep you updated with pictures from both firings as soon as I have them.
This is the Kiln Building here at Plum Bottom Pottery. It houses the 65 cubic foot propane fired gas kiln. I fire this kiln about once every six weeks which is the amount of time it takes to fill this large kiln to the brim with pots. I work in porcelain so I fire the kiln to about 2300 degrees Fahrenheit. The black carbon on the outside of the kiln is the result of many reduction firings.
I finally received shelving to organize these plastic containers which hold the materials I use to mix glazes for my porcelain pots. It was a mess before. Now with the new shelving the space is organized and beautiful. It’s amazing how a simple shelving unit can transform a space from disaster to functional. This building will now be my primary area for mixing tests for new glazes. This summer I will be taking a class with Jeff Zamek at Penland School of Crafts on glaze testing and formulation. Hopefully you’ll see the fruits of this labor coming out of the kiln in the future with new glaze colors featured in the gallery.
Nothing like a little elbow grease to get things in order. I’m really happy with how it all turned out.
Yesterday there was a fire across the street from me on Plum Bottom Rd. It apperantly was caused by ashes from a wood stove left outside to cool. It was a windy day and it spread fast. Luckily the Door County fire department was faster, only a few old corn stalks and a bobcat(tractor) were injured in the incident.